When your children are young, it’s difficult to imagine them participating in community activities. But that’s the best time for children to learn that they are responsible for the world they live in. Here are some simple ideas for community activities.
- Pick up garbage at the beach (with a parent)
- Pick up garbage at the park (with a parent)
- Help an elderly neighbor buy groceries, go to the doctor, or make a meal
- Donate to an animal shelter or homeless shelter (towels, blankets, clothes)
- Read to a senior at the senior’s center
- Bake goodies for the local fire or police department
- Pick up trash along the roads where you live (with a parent)
- Collect school supplies for needy children
- Volunteer to read to little kids at the local library
- Help organize a blood drive
- Help organize food at the local food bank
- Help deliver food for Meals on Wheels
- Write letters to soldiers stationed outside of the U.S.
- Collect toiletries for soldiers overseas and for homeless shelters
Feel free to comment and add your own ideas. 🙂
Originally published December 5, 2013.